The 2024 WCYO Concerto Competition will take place on Monday, January 8, 2024 at Jesse Lee Church in Ridgefield. Application to the competition is open to all Symphony Orchestra musicians and high school age Wind Ensemble musicians. Completed applications must be submitted by Thursday, November 1, 2023 for participation in the competition. Applications and music to be performed must be approved by the WCYO Music Director upon submission of the application. See the link to the online application and competition guidelines below. NOTE: Past WCYO Concerto Competition winners cannot perform in the competition.
2024 Concerto Competition Guidelines
- Musician must have his/her piece “performance ready” in order to participate in the competition. If you are unsure as to whether you will have your piece or movement of a concert adequately prepared for the competition, Music Director Eric Mahl will hear you play a portion of your piece in a private pre-screen performance on a WCYO rehearsal evening in early December
- Maximum time length of a piece or movement of a concerto played for the competition is 20 minutes.
- Musician must have a piano accompanist for the competition.
- Musician does not have to have music memorized, but it is encouraged.
- Musician should dress appropriately for the competition performance.
- Musician must submit a copy of the music to the WCYO Executive Director by Thursday, December 14. Music can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or a hard copy delivered at a rehearsal.
- A performance time will be assigned in the afternoon/evening of Monday, January 8th (4:00-7:00 PM). Please check your calendar before you submit your application to be aware of possible conflicts with this date!
- Participants should plan to arrive at the competition location 30 minutes prior to the assigned time to tune and warm-up. Participants who arrive late and are not ready to perform at their assigned time will be skipped and all owed to perform at the end of the competition IF time allows. Please note: There are no accommodations to warm-up with your accompanist at the competition location the day of the competition.
- The decision of the judges with respect to a winner is final.
- The winner of the competition will appear as a soloist with the WCYO Symphony Orchestra in concert on Sunday, March 3, 2024.